Signup For Updates
Community Borrowing Program and Alumni Borrowing Policy
The Community Borrowing Program was created to give non-UTSA affiliated individuals access to the resources of UTSA Libraries. There is a $25 annual fee to become a member, payable by check or UTSA Guest Card. You must be at least 16 years of age to be eligible for membership in the Community Borrowing Program. To apply for a Community Borrowing Program card, download and complete the application form.
Membership Cards and Multiple Borrowers
The Community Borrowing Program card is valid only for the person identified on the card. Should additional family members or business associates wish to use UTSA Libraries’ services, group memberships are available at two levels:
- Up to 3 cards issued for $50
- Up to 6 cards issued for $100
Replacement cards for the Community Borrowing Program are $1.00 and may be requested by mail (with payment) or at the Front Desk of either JPL or the downtown campus library. The replacement card will be mailed.
Please note that UTSA alumni do not have automatic borrowing privileges at the UTSA Libraries. Alumni must be members of the Alumni Association to receive borrowing privileges. Please contact the Alumni Association at (210) 458-4133 for membership information and fees.
Privileges of Community Borrowing Program Members and Alumni
- Book and Multimedia Borrowing – Community Borrowers and alumni may check out up to 4 books from the general collections for a period of 14 days. In addition, Community Borrowers and alumni may check out up to 4 DVDs or other multimedia items for a period of 7 days. A total of 8 items can be checked out at the same time.
- Interlibrary loan – Interlibrary loan requests are accepted at $5 per request, with additional charges such as copying charges or postage if charged by the lending library. Log in here to view or submit an Interlibrary Loan request using our Get It For Me service.
- Curriculum Material – Alumni and Community Borrowers may view multimedia and curriculum materials at the library, but check out is not allowed.
- Electronic Resources – Stop by or call the Information Desk at (210) 458-4573 for information about accessing electronic resources.
You may renew your books or multimedia items once, if they have not been requested by another borrower. Items can be renewed by calling the John Peace Library (210-458-4574) or the Downtown Campus Library (210-458-2440), or in person at the Front Desk of either library.
- Restrictions may apply to special services in some areas of the library.
- Because of high demand by UTSA students, members may not check out course reserve textbooks.
Circulating items are fined at $0.50 per day with a maximum fine of $15. All items which are borrowed from the UTSA Libraries are the responsibility of the borrower. Each patron should ensure that items are renewed or returned to the library by the due date specified. Due dates are printed and inserted in each borrowed item at the time of checkout.
Payment for overdue fines is accepted by check or UTSA Guest Card. We do not accept cash. Further library service is not available until overdue material(s) are returned and fines have been paid.
Lost or Damaged Materials
- Book replacement options - $70 or replacement cost for a book item + $10 service fee
- Multimedia - $30 or replacement cost for a media item + $10 service fee
- Interlibrary Loans - replacement cost for a book item as invoiced by lending library + $10 service fee
The UTSA Libraries reserve the right to request a picture ID when checking out materials to patrons.