About Special Collections
Planning a Visit
- New to archives? Consider reading Using Archives: A Guide for Researchers. You may also want to view this Guide from the Society of American Archivists.
- Special Collections materials are open to all researchers; a UTSA affiliation is not required.
- Holdings in Special Collections do not circulate.
- Researchers are required to follow the rules and regulations of the Special Collections department. See Reading Room Use.
- Be sure to check our hours before planning to come in - Hours and Locations.
- A photo ID is required to use materials.
- While it is often not necessary to inform us when you will be arriving to do research, it is always a good idea to call ahead if you are coming from a long distance.
- For access to archival and manuscript materials at John Peace Library, 4th floor, complete an offsite collections request form.
Ask Us - submit a question online
Please note that due to staffing constraints, Special Collections staff is not able to provide in-depth research services via telephone/mail/e-mail/fax as part of its reference function. If your research request is in-depth, requiring detailed examination of archival collections, you will be directed to visit the Special Collections to conduct your own research. If you are unable to conduct your own in-depth research, you may consider hiring your own independent researcher to perform the work for you.