About Special Collections
Planning a Visit
- Special Collections materials are open to all researchers. UTSA affiliation is not required, but all researchers must provide a photo ID to use materials.
- Holdings in Special Collections do not circulate, and researchers are required to follow the reading room rules to ensure proper care of materials.
- For access to archival, manuscript, and select photograph collections, complete a collection request form 5-7 days in advance.
- Having trouble finding materials? Feel free to contact us for assistance or submit your question online.
- Be sure to check our hours and locations before planning to come in. It is always a good idea to call ahead for an appointment if you are coming from a long distance.
- New to archives? Consider reading Visiting Special Collections and Handling Materials. You may also want to view Using Archives: A Guide for Researchers or Using Archives: A Guide to Effective Research from the Society of American Archivists.
Careful handling ensures the long-term preservation of materials so that both current and future researchers can benefit from the rich historical collections housed at UTSA. The following videos demonstrate proper techniques for handling archives, photographs and rare books. Each one is approximately 1 minute in length.
Handling Archival Collections
Handling Rare Books