Renewing Library Materials
Most, but not all, library materials can have their loan period extended if not needed by another patron. Most patrons may check out and item and renew it two times before the item must be physically returned to the Library. If no one has placed a hold on the item at the time that it is returned, the original borrower may check it out again. We ask that the item be returned so that the Library may be compliant with University regulations.
- Limited circulation, and specially designated materials may be renewed only at the Front Desk from which they were checked out.
- UTSA Retirees, Community Borrowing Program members, Alumni, and TexShare Card holders may renew an item one time before the item must be physically returned to the library.
- Interlibrary loan materials and reserve materials cannot be renewed.
Please see our Borrowing Policies page for more information on borrowing/renewal policies by type of user or material.
Present general collection materials for renewal at the Front Desk at either campus.
Borrowers are encouraged to take advantage of renewal alternatives, such as online, telephone and mail renewal, that offer more convenience than in-person presentation of materials at a Front Desk. It is the borrower's responsibility for timely renewal and you should anticipate the possibility that the desired method of renewal may not be available.
Most materials may be renewed online by logging in to your account. To renew items select My Account/Renew and follow instructions. Make sure that the system has successfully renewed the item and observe the new due date.
The following kinds of materials are not eligible for online renewal:
- reserve materials
- books on hold or recall for another borrower
- renewable materials that have met their maximum number of renewals
In addition, the following users are not eligible for online renewal:
- patrons with delinquent library accounts (e.g., maximum overdue fines)
Phone and Mail Renewal
Library materials which are not overdue may be renewed by telephone at either the John Peace Library (458-4574) or the Downtown Library (458-2440).
Mail renewal is available at the end of each semester for UTSA faculty and professional staff by returning the renewal notice indicating the desire to renew any of the materials listed. If the material has reached its renewal limit, UTSA faculty and professional staff will be notified and the material must be returned to the library before it can be checked out again.