Semester Laptop Borrowing
The John Peace Library offers laptops for full-semester checkout for currently registered UTSA students. Laptops can be checked out from the JPL at Main Campus only. At this time, they will not be offered at DTL or AET Libraries.
You must be a registered student to check out any of our laptops. All our laptops are available on a first come, first served basis. If there are no available laptops, students will be placed on a waitlist. If you are ever curious about your position on the waitlist, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 210-458-4574 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
By accepting a laptop at checkout, the borrower agrees to the policies listed below.
How to Check Out a Laptop
Once our staff confirms your registration status and availability of the equipment, you will receive an email with instructions for when and where to pick up your laptop. Requests will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Please notify us if you need to cancel an existing request at email@example.com.
Checking Out a Semester Laptop
- Semester loan laptops must be requested using our online request form. The request queue will open one to two weeks before the beginning of the semester.
- Students must use their official UTSA email address when requesting a semester laptop. Any follow-up emails from the UTSA Libraries will be sent to the student’s official UTSA email address. Students are responsible for checking their email.
- Semester loan laptops must be picked up in-person. Students will be required to present their UTSA ID card at the time of pickup.
- Students will have one week to pick up their semester loan laptop. Failure to pick up their laptop within this timeframe will result in the forfeiture of your position on the waitlist.
Returning Your Semester Laptop
- The laptop, laptop charger, and laptop bag must be returned to the library on or before the due date and time. Once a laptop is overdue, the borrower will be fined at a rate of $1 per hour, not to exceed $30.
- Once a laptop is 72 hours overdue, it will be assumed lost, and your account will be fined accordingly.
- If a laptop has been overdue for two weeks, and the student has not been responsive to library communication attempts, then the UTSA Campus Police will be notified, and an investigation may be initiated. The student will also be reported to the UTSA Student Conduct Board.
- Laptops will be inspected for damage upon their return. If a laptop is damaged, lost, or stolen while checked out to a student, the student will be fined up to $1200 for the repair or replacement of that laptop. Additional processing fees may apply.
- The replacement fee for a laptop charger is $50.
- Please contact Tech Cafe (210-458-5555 or firstname.lastname@example.org) to troubleshoot technical issues. Make sure to let them know that the laptop is property of the UTSA Libraries.
- If a laptop has hardware failure, it must be returned to the library for repairs. Our ability to replace the laptop will depend on our supply.
- The UTSA Libraries are not liable for any data loss. Any stored data, installed apps, or other information will be erased after the laptop is returned.