Non-UTSA Affiliated Visitors
Non-UTSA affiliated visitors may obtain borrowing privileges at the UTSA Libraries by joining the Community Borrowing Program. There is a $25 annual fee to become a member, payable by check or UTSA Guest Card. You must be at least 16 years of age to be eligible for membership in the Community Borrowing Program. To apply for a Community Borrowing Program card, download and complete the application form.
The Community Borrowing Program membership is valid only for the purchaser. Should additional family members or business associates wish to use UTSA Libraries’ services, group memberships are available at two levels:
- Up to three memberships issued for $50
- Up to six memberships issued for $100
The TexShare program also allows non-UTSA affiliated visitors to borrow material in person through participating public and academic libraries. Visit the TexShare website for more information.
UTSA Alumni & Retirees
UTSA alumni must be members of the Alumni Association to have borrowing privileges at the UTSA Libraries. Contact the Alumni Association at (210) 458-4133 for membership information and fees. Please bring your current Alumni Association membership card with you to JPL or the Downtown Library to set up your borrowing account.
Retired faculty and retired professional and classified staff may receive borrowing privileges at UTSA Libraries by emailing email@example.com.
Visitors & Alumni can borrow a total of five items at one time, including the following:
- Books – Visitors & Alumni may check out up to five books from the general collections for a period of 28 days (one renewal).
- Multimedia – Visitors & Alumni may check out up to four DVDs or other multimedia items for a period of seven days (one renewal).
- Interlibrary loan – Interlibrary loan requests are accepted at $5 per request, with additional charges such as copying charges or postage if charged by the lending library. Log in here to view or submit an Interlibrary Loan request using our Get It For Me service.
- Electronic resources – Most, but not all, of UTSA’s electronic resources are available onsite to walk-in users. Users can request a 60-minute guest login at one of the John Peace Library or Downtown Library service desks. UTSA Retirees do not have off-campus access to databases.
- Curriculum Materials – Visitors & Alumni may view curriculum materials at the library, but check out is not allowed.
- Textbooks and other reserve items – Because of high demand by UTSA students, Visitors & Alumni may not check out reserve items.
- Study Rooms– Because of high demand by UTSA students, Visitors & Alumni may not reserve study rooms.
- Courier service between campuses is not available.
You may renew your books or multimedia items one time. Items can be renewed online, by calling the John Peace Library at (210) 458-4574 or the Downtown Library at (210) 458-2440, or in person at the Front Desk of either library.
Books and multimedia items are fined at $0.50 per day with a maximum fine of $15.
All items which are borrowed from the UTSA Libraries are the responsibility of the borrower. Each patron should ensure that items are renewed or returned to the library by the due date specified. Due dates are printed and inserted in each borrowed item at the time of checkout.
Payment for overdue fines is accepted by check or UTSA Guest Card. We do not accept cash. Further library service is not available until overdue material(s) are returned and/or fines have been paid.
Lost or Damaged Materials
Users are responsible for charges for items lost or damaged during their borrowing period. In addition to replacement costs, users will be responsible for overdue fines and for a processing fee of $10. For damaged items, charges will be determined by the cost of repairs or replacement.
|Item Type||Replacement Cost|
|Interlibrary Loans||Replacement cost for item as invoiced
by lending library + $10 service fee
The UTSA Libraries reserve the right to request a picture ID when checking out materials to patrons.